Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Art of Space

I was pointed to this site by an engineering friend. I was stunned and delighted by the idea presented.

PARK(ing)
(Make sure to view the photos to get the full impact of the project.)

My question is this: can a green, growing space within an urban fortress of concrete be considered "art"?

My answer would be "yes."

Consider this quote by the composer Haydn, when he felt he was too tired to continue his work:

A secret feeling within me whispered, "There are so few happy and contented people here below, sorrow and anxiety pursue them everywhere; perhaps your work may, some day, become a spring from which the careworn may draw a few moments' rest and refreshment."


If that doesn't describe the PARK(ing) project, I don't know what does.

If art is meant to arrest the attention, make people see life in a new way, and challenge their perceptions, this does that, too. And if art at its best is a reflection of God's creation, then bringing pieces of God's creation to places where they have been obscured fits that bill as well.

Interestingly, it's clear that the creators did not think of this as "art," but as an urban revitalization project, if a temporary one.

So does this qualify as Art? Does art have boundaries of materials or intention? Is this just a fun way to spend a couple of hours?

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I'd agree with you. Not that I have any qualifications to judge, but I suppose you could safely call this art.

Does artistic intent have to be there for something to be art? I have no idea. Doesn't seem like it though.

I like your point about art at its best being a reflection of God's creation. That's not something I've thought a lot about before, but the idea makes a lot of sense to me.

Thanks for the pointer Mike - neat stuff.

12/09/2005 8:32 AM  
Blogger Devin Parker said...

I think it's a brilliant idea, and I also think it is an artistic expression. Our urban landscape is most often expressed in terms of the artificial and industrial. Minneapolis is more blessed with greenery than most cities I've been to, and speaking from personal experience, it makes such a difference in the daily mindset of those who live in it.

The idea of using a metered parking space for this purpose is clever and unexpected, a nice instance of lateral thinking. It catches people's attention as a quirky reminder of natural beauty, as well as being a subtle statement of rebellion against typical urban planning (which often seems more concerned about fitting as many people in as small a space as possible without regard to psychological well-being). Best of all, it is a breath of fresh air to the spirit - a place to rest and recuperate and enjoy the simple pleasure and beauty that God has created for Man to dwell in.

Seeing such work in San Francisco is nice, though I would argue that the statement and impression would be far stronger were such a thing to be seen in Los Angeles. Hopefully a touring show could be arranged...

12/12/2005 6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home