Friday, November 18, 2005

DT1: Thomas Kinkade- A Reflection of Modern Christian Culture?

Anyone who has ever spoken with me about Thomas Kinkade’s art knows that I don’t care for it; it just doesn’t move me. I’ve always thought of this, though, as a matter of personal taste, and nothing more. In his assessment at The Evangelical Outpost, Joe Carter seems to have come to much stronger conclusions about Kinkade’s art. I was intrigued by his thoughtful commentary.

To begin with, I enjoyed Carter’s critique of the two paintings of the water tower in Chicago. I don’t know much about art, and my opinions about it are often uninformed. For example, at a classical music concert, The Redland’s Symphony performed three pieces. All three were enjoyable, but the one by Beethoven impressed me the most. I couldn’t say why though. The same was true with the water tower paintings; I could tell you I liked the first one more, but not why. So I enjoyed hearing what a knowledgeable person said made these pieces “good” and “bad.” I was surprised to find out that the first painting was also done by Kinkade. In fact, I really like the early Thomas Kinkade pictures that are posted throughout the article, and it has me wondering why he decided to change his style. My guess is that, in an attempt to have his work recognized, he struggled to come up with something original. For some reason, this sort of glowing, comfy-art caught on. This sparks a couple thoughts:

First, I wonder if Thomas Kinkade is viewed by some artists as a sort of sell-out. Do people think he’s compromising his talent in order to sell art? Of course, if he were accused of such a thing, he’d have plenty of company. Many musicians, for example, who were underground little-knowns and whose art was thought to be “real” and “original” were later accused of being “commercial” sell-outs when they finally made it big. Maybe some of them were. Who can blame them?

The most striking and thought-provoking statements are those made at the end of the article—those in which the critics blast this sort of art for being soft and superficial. This seems especially interesting when one considers that art is a reflection of the thoughts, practices, and beliefs of the culture from which it emerges. If this is the sort of art that has come from, and caught on among Christians, then what does that say about the Christian community at large?

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That last question is a really great one, Dan. It does seem like modern Christians are very much about comfort, and not as much about relationships with people. That's too messy and inconvenient.

Its true - we can say all we want about his art, but certainly it reflects back on the masses who adore his work.

Great post! Thanks for putting it together.

11/18/2005 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home