Friday, November 04, 2005

Music. Not what, but who?

Greetings. This is my first post, and I am excited to be able to contribute (thanks for the invite). I have high hopes for this blog, as this is a great topic. One that I think will encourage some great discussions. My first post to this blog is about something that is near and dear to my heart, and also relates to the very first post on this blog.

Christian Music.

I am hoping to be able to bring somewhat of an 'insiders' view on the Christian music industry because, for whatever reason, the path of my life has brought me close to many aspects of Christian music. Sometimes, close enough that I that I was 'called' to be involved. This is not a name-dropping session (trust me, I have no interest in attempting to impress anyone but God, which itself is an exercise in futility). This is just a quick peek into some of my experiences with the music industry as it relates to Christ and Christians.

When I was fifteen I lived next to a saxophone player named David Hlebo. He was the saxophone and keyboard player for Kim Boyce. One day I went to Knott's Berry Farm and she was performing there. David thought that it would be cute to pull me up on stage. So there I was, singing in front of 2,000 people. Pretty wild. I used to attend church with Alan Shacklock. He formed the British Producers Guild with Phil Collins and Hugh Padgham, and also played with U2 in Madison Square Garden, and produced the British rock band, the Alarm. We used to spend our time discussing the future of Christian music. There are many others, but I would like to mention also that my sister married the brother of the guy who started The Newsboys. I grew up down the street from Michael Jackson's saxophone player (who is in charge of the worship at Calvary Chapel Redlands), and the drummer at my church in Twin Peaks was Elvis' drummer for ten years. So, I have had my share of exposure and I have this to say...

The Christian music industry, is exactly that...an industry. There are differences between the two industries, but not good ones. From my perspective here in the Christian music mecca of the world (Franklin, TN) I would much rather deal with the people in the secular side of things. Basically because they know they're in BUSINESS to make money. Meanwhile, on the Christian-side of things, they're really in the business to make money, while masquerading around under the guise of being in a MINISTRY. (Have the bottom line fall out from under just one of the record companies and see how long they last as a ministry).

I realize that is a sweeping generalization, and that there are exceptions to every rule. However, I have actually heard several of my friends who are in the Christian music industry express their desire to be in the secular industry. Because at least you can expect unsaved people to behave accordingly. There is a higher degree of accountability, and a greater expectation among believers, when you are dealing with people who claim to be believers. Another friend of mine moved to Nashville 10 years ago on a rapping recording contract. As soon as he showed up, the record company went bankrupt.

Christians filing for bankruptcy is entirely another issue for another time, however, those kinds of things are more of a symptom of a greater underlying problem. Once you realize that the Christian record companies are in business to make money, then the content on the radio stations all makes sense. This first segment has been fairly critical, so allow me to change gears.

Why is music so powerful? So huge? How is it that iTunes has already sold well over a half of a billion songs? It's because music speaks a language that our souls/spirit can understand. Arguably better than anything else. There is intelligent music out there, but music doesn't speak to our brains, it speaks to an entirely different part of us as spiritual beings. While I can't recall exactly where in The Word it is, I do recall hearing that Lucifer was basically 'in charge' of the worship in heaven. Taking his damnation into consideration, it makes sense why secular music is pushed in the direction of sex, and self.

But I digress. The purpose of music is worship. And, we were made as beings with one of our primary functions being worship. Whether you like it or not, we worship. Still have that poster of the Lamborghini on the wall? Still trying to stuff your wallet beyond what is reasonable, while not giving or tithing? You get the idea. So, if were are beings created to worship, and the primary reason for the existence of music is worship, then why do we have Christian music celebrities. Shouldn't Christ be the focus? Shouldn't Christ be the celebrity? I guarantee you that not a single one of today's top Christian music singers would hang on a cross for me. That will be the subject of my next post.

But I'll leave you with one thought...

Although I realize that certain music can become tiresome (Holy, Holy, Holy ad nauseum), think about it like this the next time you hear that. When we see Him face to face in all of His great and awesome glory, we ALL will join the angels and say 'Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty. Who was, and is, and is to come". For eternity. Because, I suspect that is all that we will be able to utter. It's not about us, or our preference in music style. It's about Him and His glory.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Hey Matt - glad you're along for the ride. Thanks for a great post - lots of things to think about. I have some questions I want to post later...

For now, I wanted to mention that I think the passage you're referring to is in Ezekiel 28. There are some good discussions of the topic Here and here

11/06/2005 6:35 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

So here's a question Matt... Do you actually think that Christian recording artists should be releasing through secular channels, or are there specific changes that the Christian industry needs to make?

I guess what I'm asking... are you saying that Christian music should not be treated as a ministry at all - purely as a business - or just that there is a business side of the ministry and that needs to be handled more professionally?

11/07/2005 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home